Table of Contents
For most of the people, chocolate is a delicious dessert that can bring relaxation and relief at the end of the day, also it can lead to a pleasurable feeling which can make you feel happy and relieved. However, some people allergic to chocolate, the chocolate can be the cause of a serious allergic reaction.
Ingredients that cause chocolate allergy:
What causes chocolate allergy? Everyone suffering from this kind of allergy wants to know the answer. To answer this question, we should keep in mind that chocolate is made from a variety of ingredients, cocoa beans are the main ingredients of chocolate and they rarely cause allergies in people, in fact, it’s very safe to say that chocolate sensitivity caused by other ingredients in chocolate, such as:
- Wheat & Gluten.
The symptoms of chocolate allergy.
The best way to determine if you are suffering from a chocolate allergy is to be familiar with the most common symptoms of chocolate allergy, next time you eat chocolate or deals with any other products made of chocolate, watch yourself if any of the following symptoms happened:
- If you were suffering from the migraines or the sudden headaches. Usually, these symptoms happen because of an allergic reaction to milk, dairy products or nuts, which are all common ingredients in chocolate.
- The beginning of skin reactions, these reactions can be started as a mild symptom (itching and slight redness of the skin) to be more serious (swelling, rash), these skin reactions can occur in different parts of the body. For example, itching in the anal area, redness, and swelling that affects of the face, in addition to itching affects of the mouth and lips.
- If you suffer from abdominal pain, diarrhea or any other intestinal symptoms.
- If you were suffering from symptoms of the respiratory system such as sneezing and coughing.
- In some extreme cases, you may experience a drop in blood pressure and you may even feel dizzy.
Chocolate allergy tests.
If you find yourself experiencing any of these symptoms of the sensitivity of chocolate, it is likely that you have an allergy to one of the components of chocolate, to determine what is this component or ingredient? it is advisable to undergo some allergy tests under the supervision of an allergist.
Chocolate allergy treatment.
The best way to avoid chocolate sensitivity is to avoid consuming chocolate completely, you may also need antihistamines to reduce the symptoms of the allergy, because antihistamines can effectively reduce many of the symptoms that are associated with chocolate allergies, such as itching, rash, pains of the digestive and sneezing.
You can buy antihistamines with a prescription from the doctor, if the symptoms of chocolate sensitivity tend to affect your respiratory system, you will probably need corticosterone or bronchodilators, that could help of stopping the runny nose, shortness of breath, coughing and sneezing.
Prevention of chocolate sensitivity.
Chocolate sensitivity prevents you from enjoying of your favorite desserts, however, by understanding the sensitivity of chocolate and its symptoms, also with the help of your doctor you can avoid ingredients in chocolate that trigger your allergy.
Studies & Researches.
According to one study, some people may suffer from severe allergy to chocolate, what lead to anaphylaxis that may involve two or more of the systems of the body which can lead to allergic shock threatening the life of the patient. Anaphylaxis symptoms include:
- Shortness of breath.
- The tightness of the chest.
- A severe drop in blood pressure.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Diarrhea and stomach cramps.