Banana allergy is an allergic reaction to a protein in the fruit which is chitinase. So Banana Allergy is not happening because of the fruit itself, but by chitinase protein that found in Banana. This protein is also found in kiwi and avocado, so it’s common for sufferers of banana allergies to has an allergic reaction to these fruits too.
Banana allergic reaction can be treated with an antihistamine. However, there is always a possibility that the case may develop to be anaphylaxis, which means that it will be a severe allergic reaction to Banana.
What are the symptoms of Banana Allergy?
Banana allergy is common, and the symptoms usually appear after eating the Banana and include itching of the mouth and throat, hives (urticaria), swelling (angioedema), and wheezing. mostly, symptoms begin within minutes of eating the fruit.
Through the next points we will explain the symptoms in details:
- Mouth Itchy: This itching affects the area of the mouth and lips, also the throat and tongue. Itching may spread on the skin around the eyes. Allergy symptoms occur for many reasons, some of it regard to carpets dust, or when you contact with some allergens such as latex that found in bananas. The severity of itching varies depending on the severity of allergies.
- Swelling: The inflammation usually causes swelling in the same areas where itching occurs. Often the sensitivity to banana limited on oral allergy symptoms, where the skin in the areas around the mouth become red and swelling, and it may become sensitive to touch.
- Respiratory System Symptoms: Inflammation leads to constriction of the bronchial, and that happens after the swelling of the areas around the mouth and the skin under the eyes. That’s accompanied by difficulty in swallowing and breathing and may affect the heart.
- Anaphylactic Shock: Banana allergic reaction becomes serious if the immune system reaction was shocking, which leads to a decrease in blood pressure, or respiratory problems that may limit of oxygen levels in the blood. This degree of hypersensitivity requires an intensive care immediately because it may cause a sudden loss of consciousness.
- Abdominal Pain: Banana allergy causes intestinal symptoms often begin with nausea and cramping after a short time of eating a banana when the process of digestion begin. Banana allergy may cause immediate symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhea.